Conference of the Canadian Association of African Studies (CAAS)
About the conference
Join the Canadian Association of African Studies (CAAS) at Congress 2016 to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Canadian Journal of African Studies and reflect on past and future Canadian intellectual engagements with Africa. The annual CAAS Conference takes place at the University of Calgary from June 1-3, attracting scholars, researchers, and students—covering a wide range of disciplines—from across North America, Africa, and elsewhere. During three days of concurrent panels, plenary sessions, roundtable discussions, and interdisciplinary events, interact with those established pioneers who spearheaded the development of African Studies in Canada as well as newer generations who continue in their footsteps. Taking up the Congress theme of “Energizing Communities,” the CAAS Conference provides an opportunity to energize communities around a series of themes critical to understanding Africa’s past and future. Core themes include migration and urbanization, human rights, women’s struggle and resistance, culture and identity in Francophone Africa, Southern African liberation, Canadian foreign policy towards Africa, and religion and transformation. A new initiative will enable undergraduate students to participate in a panel setting where established Africanists provide helpful feedback on their research. Keep an eye out for further announcements about keynote speakers, documentary showings, and social events that will make the 50th anniversary celebration of the Canadian Journal of African Studies a memorable part of your Congress experience.
The theme of this year's CAAS Conferene will be "Canada’s Intellectual Engagement With Africa: Reflections and Projections After 50 Years".
- Conference website: caas-acea.org/conference/annual-conference
- Subject areas: migration & urbanization, human rights, women’s struggle & resistance, culture & identity in francophone Africa, Canadian foreign policy towards Africa, and religion & transformation
- Preliminary program (PDF): download it here (updated 2016-04-27)
- Final program (PDF): n/a
- President's reception: Thursday, June 2, 2016
- Deadline: 2016-1-31
- Link: caas-acea.org/conference/annual-conference
Wednesday, June 1st (5-8pm):
Join CAAS and CASID for a Special Interdisciplinary Session followed by a Networking Reception featuring Calgary-based musicians.
Only those people who are registered for Congress 2016 and have added the Canadian Association of African Studies (CAAS, #75) to their Congress registration may attend this conference. Please note that conference registration fees are separate from the association's membership fees.
About the association
For more information about membership or this conference, please contact the association directly at the contacts listed below.
- Program Chair: Chris Youé, Memorial University of Newfoundland; Jean Ntakirutimana, Brock University
- Local Arrangement Coordinator: Miriam Grant, University of British Columbia; Chris Roberts, University of Calgary; Nketti Mason
- Association website: http://caas-acea.org/