Conference of the Canadian Association of Slavists (CAS)
About the conference
The Association being an interdisciplinary, regionally-focussed body, its conference traditionally features panels in the following areas, which it will do also in 2016:
History (Russian, Ukrainian, Soviet, East European); Linguistics (comparative and Slavic); Pedagogy and Second Language Acquisition (study abroad; teaching of individual skills; curriculum design, presentation of new teaching materials; use of technology in language teaching, etc.); Politics, Policy, and Governance in Russia, the Former Soviet Union, and Eastern Europe; Russian and Eastern European Cinema (history, genre, individual film directors, themes); Slavic Literatures and Cultures; and Ukrainian Studies.
Many panels focus on Slavic Literatures and Cultures, and are dedicated to discussing individual writers and poets from Russia, Belarus, Poland, and the Balkans; various themes (history and literature, World War II, etc.); theoretical approaches including gender studies; history of literature (18th c. to contemporary), music, religion, etc.
A meeting of the Canadian Association Ukrainian Studies (CAUS) is also traditionally part of the CAS conference and therefore Ukrainian Studies are always very prominently represented at the CAS Conference. A large number of panels are formed on Ukrainian folklore and ethnography; diaspora studies; Ukrainian Canadian literature; museum studies; Holodomor studies; Ukrainian literature, politics, and culture.
- Conference website: ualberta.ca/~csp/cas/conference.html
- Subject areas: Slavic literatures and cultures, Ukrainian studies
- Final program (PDF): download it here (updated 2016-04-22)
- President's reception: Wednesday, June 1, 2016
- Deadline: 2016-01-29
- Link: https://www.ualberta.ca/~csp/cas/conference.html
Only those people who are registered for Congress 2016 and have added the Canadian Association of Slavists (CAS, #56) to their Congress registration may attend this conference. Please note that conference registration fees are separate from the association's membership fees.
About the association
For more information about membership or this conference, please contact the association directly at the contacts listed below.
- Program Chair: Bohdan Harasymiw, University of Calgary
- Local Arrangement Coordinator: Irina Shilova, University of Calgary, Svitlana Winters, University of Calgary
- Association website: www.ualberta.ca/~csp/cas