Volunteer at Congress
Do you want to gain some valuable experience? Make new friends? Attend public sessions starring cutting-edge researchers and big thinkers? Take in some arts and culture?
From May 28 to June 3, 2016, the University of Calgary will be hosting the 85th edition of Canada’s largest interdisciplinary gathering of scholars and researchers. With seven days of over 70 academic associations holding annual conferences, 2,000 events and 5,400 presentations, the 2016 Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences promises to be huge!
With over 8,000 attendees expected to attend, we need your help! We know that the success of Congress 2016 will be because of our hard-working volunteers. Volunteers perform a number of essential duties that support the university’s production of Congress. You can choose how many hours you are able to contribute and when you are available.
When you volunteer with Congress, you will not only receive a letter of confirmation of volunteerism and an official volunteer T-shirt, as well as food during your shifts, you may be eligible for Co-Curricular Record credit. The Co-Curricular Record is an official university document that can be provided to potential employers, graduate or professional schools to outline your contributions to campus life outside the classroom. The CCR recognizes university-organized activities in areas such as leadership, service-learning, student government, athletics, professional development, training and residence life among others. If it contributes to the overall student experience and it meets a prescribed time commitment, it’s recognized here.
Congress 2016 Volunteer Roles
- Serve as guides and support across the campus and during Congress 2016 events
- Act as a campus ambassador in designated Info Kiosks where you’ll help attendees with questions about campus and how to get around.
- Support the University of Calgary’s contract food service provider with food preparation, food delivery and dish room duties.
- Help attendees with their arrival to Hotel Alma and Alma Express.
- Assist with audio/visual issues that may crop up from time to time during Congress.
- Provide assistance during major Congress 2016 events, such as the Big Thinking lecture series, Opening Reception and the President’s Receptions; assist with session set-up.
- Assist with shuttle trips between campus and designated Congress hotels, as well as selling shuttle tickets.
- Be ready to do various jobs at the last minute.
We hope that you will consider being involved. To apply to volunteer, please complete the application on our Volunteer application page.
Please note there will be a mandatory orientation session on Thursday, May 26, 2016 to ensure that you are properly prepared.
For more information, or to answer any questions you might have, contact Danielle Kraus, Congress 2016 Volunteer Coordinator, at email@example.com or 403-220-4637.